Saturday, September 8, 2012

Not gaining weight...

I am not talking about me.  Of course at this point I want to lose weight and I am happy to say that I am down 30lbs which is AWESOME!.  About 20 more to get to my pre-pregnancy weight.  Yes, I am admitting I put on WAY TOO MUCH this time around.  Maybe next time I'll do better... :)  That was just a tease... not sure if there will be a next time.  We will wait and see.
So Mr Wyatt is not gaining the weight he needs to.. unfortunately he continued to lose after we got home.  Feeding him is more of  challenge.  My older boys took to nursing and helping themselves like champs but this little guy requires encouragement.  I guess it goes hand in hand with me being so dilated for so long without going into labor.  Wyatt will be stubborn perhaps.
So I am nursing, pumping, and then giving him my expressed milk in a syringe to try to force him to eat what he needs to gain the wait.  It is stressful and frustrating... I've shed quite a few tears but I know we can do this.  He also has MSPI like my other guys - intolerances to milk and soy proteins.  So I have started my diet. 
I am glad my mom has been here to help with the boys.  Mark was able to go home for several days to see his parents so that was good.  The boys and I missed him terribly. 
Well that is it for now.

2 comments:

  1. Suzanne, this may or may not help, but find an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) in your area who has experience with identifying tongue-tie, both the typical tongue-tie and posterior tongue-tie. When there are unexplained breastfeeding issues, that's always my first thought.

    Adah had a posterior tongue-tie, which means that nobody spotted it until she was 3 months old. She gained weight fine until that point, but we always had some difficulty with her latch. At three months, her weight gain slowed dramatically and I began experiencing major discomfort and pain while nursing (I'd just felt a slight pinching sensation before that). We had it clipped and the pain was gone for me, and gained more in the next week than she had in the entire month before.

    Maybe that's the problem, maybe it's not, but when there are weight gain or latch issues, it's a good thing to check for!

    Good luck, I hope things improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea he wasn't eating! I thought for sure he would be 12 pounds by now!! LOL! I am so sorry you have this challenge right now when you're so postpartum. It really sucks! Just hang in there and he'll be nursing like a champ before you know it!
    And I am so sorry he has the tender stomach like the other guys! But just think, you'll be super skinny again before you know it!! :)
    I am so happy for you guys. I think about you a lot, but never know when to call. Give me a call sometime when you have time to chat. I am home and available most days!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete