Thursday, June 3, 2010

Emmett is here!!!!

I apologize for the two week delay. But now there are lots of pictures and much to tell to catch you up.
I felt two contractions on my way to work the morning of Wednesday, 05/19/10. I called Mark and told him to be showered and ready as I thought I would be calling him soon to take me to the hospital.
So my contractions started around 8:30am. I got to work just before 9:00am and was starting to freak out a bit as I did not have to time contractions with Cael because my water had broke and I wasn't sure how. I called my friend Beth who suggested I Google 'contraction timer' which I did. So I joined a conference call with a client, on mute, and began to time my contractions. Luckily Shannon came in and helped me. She shut the door to my office and I began the deep breathing as the contractions would come and go. After a while we saw they were 1-1.5 minutes apart. I called my doctor's office who advised I go ahead and go to the hospital. I called Mark and told him to come get me, and then called my mom so she would be on standby to buy an airline ticket to get here as soon as she could. Let me remind you I was still on this conference call. They asked me a question and instead of taking myself off mute I disconnected myself from the call. So I called back in. They kinda laughed and made a joke they thought I was in labor... I confirmed for them I was timing contractions.. so they were understanding as I rushed through some things and excused myself. :) As I waited for Mark I did a couple of more things to prepare for my leave from work - calling my boss, moving some emails around for space, etc.
Mark and I arrived at the hospital around 10am. I was so nervous that I would be dilated to receive an epidural - I had one with Cael and it was WONDERFUL so I wanted to do that again if possible. It seemed forever for us to check in and the nurse to come in and get me all hooked up to monitor me and check my 'progress.' I was 4 cm dilated so I had plenty of time for my epidural. I labored until about noon , dilating another cm before I received the epidural. This time the epidural seemed to make me loopy not just numb. I don't remember getting as numb with Cael. The nurse would roll me from one side to another every 30 minutes and check my 'progress.' It is something about that epidural that helps me relax and finish dilating. :) When she checked me and I was at 7cm my water broke so then we knew it was on! At about 9cm the nurse tried to set me up to finish dilating with my legs crossed, Emmett did not seem to like that and his heart rate dropped drastically. The nurse called for me hands, put an oxygen mask on me, lowered me quickly, and was getting me over on my side. Once on my side Emmett was fine again. The oxygen mask was left on for the remainder of my labor as a precaution. Talk about scary! - it happened so quickly and all you can do is trust them because you don't know what is going on. The rest of labor and delivery was smooth sailing. At 10cm I pushed once and you could see the head so they called in my doctor. While she was getting ready the nurse told me to push again but then told me to stop so the doctor could get her gloves on. 4 more pushes and he was out at 3:27pm. When his head came out one of his arms came with it and the cord was wrapped around. Thankfully he was a handsome, healthy boy. The doctor said she thought he was 8lbs 8oz and I was shocked, horrified! They then said he was 8lbs 10oz. I then asked my doctor if I had a mess (down there) and she said no. She told me I should have 12 more. :) Mark was there holding my leg the entire time and cut the cord - what a champ!
Proud parents.
Mark felt like the hospital staff kept giving him dirty looks because of his Gator gear.

He was 20.5 inches long and his head was 19.25 inches around.

Exhausted mommy!

The night the brothers met. Cael was so sweet!


Mama and her boys. Cael wanted to hold baby Emmett and give him kisses.

How sweet!

What an Angel!

I am ready to go home!

Daddy and his boys!

Just chillin' with dad.

Cael loves to hold Emmett and love on him. He likes to point out all of his body parts - eyes, hair, nose, feet, knees, etc.


Beesha (my mom) came to help us adjust for the first week! Thank you Beesha! We miss you!
Emmett looks like Cael when he cries - not like he doesn't look like him the rest of the time. :)

Precious!


Already 2 weeks old!
I have grown 1.5 inches and I now weigh 9lbs 2oz.
Having two little ones is definitely an adjustment but I think we are handling it fairly well. :) Cael was a little jealous last night but I am trying to balance my attention.
Cael is all moved into his big boy room and now sleeps there (mommy and daddy moved to the basement to give the boys their own rooms).
I hope you all are well!

6 comments:

  1. Adorable! You are all adorable! Emmett is changing daily, it is truly amazing. Emmett is so lucky to have such a sweet big brother. Thank you for letting me share your first week together. I miss you all.

    Love to all,
    Beesha XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! He is adorable. What is his middle name?
    Natalie (my 2nd) was the same weight and length when she was born!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS you guys! glad to hear that everyone is doing well and adjusting well. what a cutie! congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried thru the whole post...so happy for your darling little family...a cute/handsome baby ( looks just like big brother to me) a beautiful Mommy and a very proud Daddy...happiness and blessings to you all !!! So glad Beesha could be there to soak up all the joy !

    BTW, having a big baby has it's advantages, they nurse better and whip you back in shape faster and they usually sleep thru the night sooner !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the additional picture! Fun to see that Cael loves his baby brother!
    We got the other pictures in the mail. He's adorable! Sorry about his stomach...makes me sad for the little guy.

    ReplyDelete